Gift Aid

Gift aid
Gift aid information

Make your gifts worth more


Gift Aid adds 25% to the value of your donation at no extra cost to you. It works by letting us claim back tax you've already paid.


Do I qualify for Gift Aid?

To qualify for Gift Aid you must have paid income or capital gains tax (in the UK) for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) at least equal to the tax that all the charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year. Other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify. Further advice on specific situations that may apply to you is provided below.



What do I need to do in order to pay Gift Aid?


There are a few ways you can set up a Gift Aid declaration. If you make an online donation now and are eligible for Gift Aid, the easiest way to do this is by ticking the box indicated by the Gift Aid logo that is located at the bottom of the donation page as you come towards the end of the payment process. If donating by phone on 0300 111 2233 you can make an oral declaration - just tell us that that is what you would like to do. If donating by post  you can download a gift aid form, fill it in and return it to us at:


Blind Veterans UK
12 - 14 Harcourt St


Please click here to download the gift aid declaration form


Please ensure that you have paid an amount of Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount that all the Charities or Amateur Sports Clubs that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year.


Please note


Our Gift Aid calling campaign is undertaken by the Volunteer Call Centre and asks people to make a Gift Aid declaration over the telephone (oral Gift Aid declaration). We are not asking for any donations as part of this campaign - it is purely administrative and allows us to make the very most out of every donation we receive.


Gift Aid is a Government scheme that allows supporters of charities to increase the value of their donations by 25% at no additional cost to them. To be eligible for Gift Aid, you must be a UK taxpayer and pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax at least equal to that we reclaim on your gifts in the tax year.

By giving a Gift Aid declaration, we can claim back 25% more on the gifts we receive. A huge £720,000 is generated for Blind Veterans UK every year simply by reclaiming the tax that we pay on donations.


Do I need to make a new Gift Aid declaration for each payment?

No, if you wish Gift Aid to apply to all your donations you only need to fill in the one declaration form. This will then mean that all donations for the previous four years and any future donations you may make will be treated as Gift Aid donations until you notify us otherwise.


What if I already have a Gift Aid declaration with another charity?

You need to have a separate Gift Aid declaration for each charity that you support with Gift Aid. However, the Income and/or Capital Gains tax you pay must at least equal the total amount of Gift Aid that all your chosen charities will claim on your donations or memberships in that tax year (6 April to 5 April). For every pound you donate the charity will be able to claim 25p in Gift Aid, at no extra cost to you.

If everyone who was eligible for Gift Aid did this is would make a big difference to the work of charities.


What kinds of donations can Gift Aid be applied to?

As long as you pay the right amount of UK tax Gift Aid can be applied to the following donation types:


Postal orders
Direct debits
Standing orders
Debit cards
Credit cards
Foreign currency
Banker's Draft
Telegraphic or online banker transfer
Sponsorship pledges

Gift Aid cannot be made on gifts in kind, by loan waiver or by debt/loan conversion, by gifts of money with conditions attaching, by set participation fees, by payments made using charity vouchers or cheques (including CAF or KKL), barter transactions, Trust donations, Legacy donations or gifts from companies.

How can I find out if I pay UK income or Capital Gains tax?

Look at your payslip to see if Income Tax has been taken from your salary.

Check if you pay tax after filling in a self - assessment form each year.

Check if you are taxed on any taxable savings you may have, your pension plan, or any investment income you may have. Your bank statement will normally show this form of tax having been taken.

Check if you have paid Capital Gains tax if you have sold property or shares.

If you pay Capital Gains Tax you or your financial advisor or accountant would have to declare this. You can also find such information on your Individual share dividend certificate if you have shares.


I'm a pensioner - can I Gift Aid?

If you have a private pension plan or savings you may still be paying tax. If this is so then the tax deductions will be shown on your P60 form that you should receive each year. If enough tax has been deducted to mean that you qualify for Gift Aid then please do fill in a Gift Aid declaration.


What happens if I don't pay UK tax?

Unfortunately we are unable to reclaim Gift Aid if you do not pay UK tax. However, you can contact us and we will update your record.


I'm a higher rate taxpayer - how can Gift Aid benefit me?

Even if you are a higher rate taxpayer, Gift Aid still only applies to the basic rate of tax (20%). However, if you pay a higher rate of income tax, you will have paid either 40% or 50%. You can therefore claim the difference between the basic rate of tax and your highest rate if you make a charitable donation.

To reclaim they should write the donations in the gift aid box on your self assessment tax return. Alternatively, if they receive a form P810 you can declare your Gift Aid payments on it.

Read more information about the full potential of gifts made by higher rate taxpayers.


Can Gift Aid be reclaimed on a collection I have made?

Gift Aid can be reclaimed on the gifts of the individuals who already have or request a Gift Aid declaration for collections such as anniversary gifts in lieu, funeral donations and party collections. For such collections to Blind Veterans UK please send in all the cheques together and each person who can should write 'please reclaim Gift Aid' on the form/envelope in which they put their donation as well as their full name and address.


Please contact our Events team if you would like envelopes to make a collection.


Different rules will apply to street fundraising (which we do not currently undertake) and supermarket collections.


What do I need to do if my tax status changes or I want to cancel my declaration?

For either situation please contact us for this to be updated on your supporter record.


Do I need to declare that I have made a Gift Aid declaration on my tax return?

If you receive a tax return form from HM Revenue and Customs then you must declare that you have a Gift Aid declaration.


I make my donations via the Charities Aid Foundation - has tax already been reclaimed?

Tax will already have been reclaimed for all the donations you make via CAF. However if you fill in a Gift Aid declaration with us this will cover any other donations you make to us separately of CAF.


Can Gift Aid be made to cover individual donations or a series of donations?

Yes. If this is the case please indicate the dates of the donations that the Gift Aid is to apply to on your Gift Aid declaration form.


I have a further query. Where can I found out more information?


If the query is not answerable from the list above we would advise you to contact HMRC on 0300 123 1073.


The opening hours of the helpline are:


8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday

(Closed weekends and bank holidays). 



Sign up to our e-newsletter